Tuesday 23 April 2013

Edelrid Creed Review

I think winter is pretty much at an end now so I have decided to review some of the gear I have been using this season. I will start with my harness. I have been using an Edelrid Creed harness for the past 2 seasons and despite a few minor flaws I really like it.
Edelrid Creed
I replaced my old Petzl Crux harness as it had started to wear through and after trying a few on I decided on the Creed, partly because it was on sale, partly because its orange but also because it did everything I wanted a harness to do.
It's pretty light weight (380g apparently) and has adjustable leg loops, with elastic bits too, and a single waist buckle. There are 4 gear loops. For more of the technical specifications just check out the Edelrid website.
Creed showing flexibility at North Berwick Law (Photo credit: Joanna Lisowiec)
Comfort: This harness is really quite comfortable despite the lack of padding around the waist and leg loops. It never develops pressure points after hanging off a belay for an extended period of time. The harness is very easy to adjust allowing it to fit over multiple layers in winter or even when its tops off weather in summer (it does happen occasionally in Scotland). One problem with the Creed is that when it is tightened there isn't really anywhere for the end of the strap to be tucked away. This isn't really the end of the world but it does look a bit rubbish. Another bad point to add in is that the little rubber tab at the end of this strap came off. Again not the end of the world but I'd rather it didn't happen.
Creed racked up in winter mode in Glen Coe
Climbability: This made up word means how easy it is to climb in. The answer is very. As I've already said it is very comfortable to wear but this comfort doesn't limit movement. I am still able to get into a figure 4 or get a really high foot without feeling my harness is stopping me. The gear loops are also plenty large enough to carry a full rack.
Weather proof: Harnesses don't really need to keep you dry but they do need to not absorb water and then let it freeze giving you an icy slab to carry around. Luckily for the Creed it appears to be made of a non-absorbent material.
Other features: Some other things on the Creed which stand out are the very thin belay loop. You would think that this would wear out pretty quick but no. I have had a daisy chain larks-footed to this for the past 2 winters, and occasionally through summer, and it still show no excessive signs of wear. There is a haul loop on the back of the harness but it is very small. I have never had the need for a haul loop before but I figure a very small one isn't of much use. For everyday climbing I doubt this will effect you and in the event that you do need one it is there. There are two caritool slots, one on either side between the gear loops. I found these to be a bit too loose and allow the caritool to turn around. I however suspect this is a problem with the caritools I have. I use Black Diamond ones, but I suspect the larger Petzl ones may work better.
Creed in drytooling/competition mode at the STS Finals (Photo credit: andrewrutherfordphotography.co.uk)
Conclusions:
This harness is really good and despite its lightness stands up to everything you can throw at it. Like with everything there are some faults but one big thing in its favour is its price (about £75 depending on where you look). I give this 1 thumb up.
If you want a well priced, light weight, do anything harness this is the one for you.
Outdoorkit.co.uk have the Creed with a 10% discount.

No comments:

Post a Comment